Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 10 June 2010

Vigil of Pentecost pictures


Following on from the photographs I shared a few weeks ago of the pre-1955 Triduum Liturgy at St Gertrude the Great, West Chester, Ohio here are some pictures of their Vigil of Pentecost. I should add that I understand St Gertrude's is a sedevacantist parish, which raises certain issues. However we can hope and pray that they will return to the One True Fold of the Redeemer - their sense of tradition in liturgical matters may not be present in their ecclesiology now, but as with other groups the search for a return to true unity should be maintained.

The friend who forwarded them to me added the following health and safety warning:

Don't tell anyone with a weak stomach - this is hard-core liturgy!

I assume readers of this blog are old enough and mature enough to handle such material, but you have been warned. I understand this is the only set of photographs available online of the Pentecost Vigil.  Here is a sample:


No comments: